2015 – 2016: Post-doctoral fellowship (1 year): “BIOCHEMISTRY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF CYCLIC DI-GMP AND QUORUM SENSING SIGNALING PATHWAYS IN PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA” Department of Biochemical Sciences ‘A. Rossi Fanelli’ – SAPIENZA, University of Rome.
P.le Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome (I).
Principal Investigator in research project: RBFR10LHD1MIUR-FIRB FUTURO IN RICERCA 2010. This project has been evaluated (74/75) and granted for four years (453300 euros); project title: BIOCHEMISTRY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF CYCLIC DI-GMP AND QUORUM SENSING SIGNALING PATHWAYS IN PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA.
National Scientific Qualification
Molecular Biology (05/E2 – SSD BIO/11) – Associate Professor
Education and Work experience
- 2012-2015: Researcher position (3 years, full-time, art. 24 c.3-a L. 240/10). Department of Biochemical Scences ‘A. Rossi Fanelli’ – SAPIENZA, University of Rome. P.le Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome (I)
- 2009 – 2012: Post-doctoral fellowship (3 years): Proteins from human pathogens: a structural biology project. Faculty of Medicine and Department of Biochemical Sciences ‘A. Rossi Fanelli’ – SAPIENZA, University of Rome. P.le Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome (I)
- 2005 – 2008: Post-doctoral research contract (2005-2008): “Post-genomic structural biology”. Department of Biochemical Sciences ‘A. Rossi Fanelli’ – SAPIENZA, University of Rome.
- 2002 – 2005: Ph.D. Biochemistry on functional and structural characterization of the nitric oxide sensor DNR from Pseudomonas aeruginosa, University of Rome ‘La Sapienza’, supervisor Prof. Maurizio Brunori. Thesis title ‘N-oxides sensing in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: characterization of DNR, a transcriptional regulator’.
- 1996 – 2002: Laurea (110/110 cum laude) in Biology with specialization in Molecular Biology. Thesis title: ‘Nitrite reductase from Pseudomonas aeruginosa: molecular basis of the reactivity studied by site-directed mutagenesis’, supervisors Prof. Francesca Cutruzzola’ and Prof. Francesco Bossa (Department of Biochemical Sciences, University of Rome ‘La Sapienza’)
- Coordinator and supervisor of highly qualified post-doc personnel (2 years, for bio-crystallographic studies) and technician unit (for biomass production)
- Member of the editorial board of Biomed Research International and journal reviewer (Annals of Microbiology, BBRC…)
- Lab supervisor for undergraduate and phD students.
- Lab supervisor of foreign phD students (Department of Biochemical Sciences, University of Rome ‘La Sapienza’)
- participation in several nationally and internationally funded projects and meeting (see detailed CV)
The main research lines, encompassing Biochemistry, Structural Biology and Molecular Biology, are focused on:
- protein/nucleotide interactions involved in the formation of bacterial biofilm in chronic infections; she contributed to obtain structure and mechanistic studies on selected enzymes involved in biofilm formation.
- role of nitric oxide and redox metabolism in bacterial pathogens; the specific expertise of Serena Rinaldo allowed to re-evaluate the interaction of nitric oxide with metalloproteins and, broadly speaking, with the heme cofactor.
- metabolic reprogramming in cancer cells and ageing, by looking at the role of enzymes of the serine/glycine pathway and one-carbon metabolism; she contribute to define the role of protein dynamics upon cofactor and substrates binding.
- Molecular biology techinques for cloning, recombinant protein expression in bacteria, site-directed mutagenesis.
- Biochemical techinques for purification and functional characterization of proteins.
- Macromolecules interactions (Microcalorimetry ITC, EMSA, spectroscopy)
- Kinetic analysis of pre-steady state and steady state reactions (absorbance and fluorescence stopped flow, CD spectroscopy)
- Kinetic data analysis and processing (with the Igor Pro software)
- Handling of anaerobic samples (glove box).
Author of 35 ISI-indexed publications (h-index=12 – ISI)